Investigative Services Division
The Modesto Police Department Investigative Services Division (ISD) is responsible for following up and investigating felony cases that are forwarded by patrol officers, and preparing the cases for presentation to the District Attorney’s Office. The men and women of the division work diligently to ensure that serious criminal cases are resolved and that offenders are brought to justice.
The Investigative Services Division is staffed with over 85 sworn and professional personnel consisting of detectives, community service officers, crime analysts, and crime scene investigators.
Violent Crimes Unit (VCU)
- Cold Case
- Crimes Against Persons
- Gang Intelligence
- Missing Persons
Special Crimes Unit (SCU)
- Identification Unit (CSI)
- Special Victims Unit (SVU)
- Tech Crime
Property Crimes Unit (PCU)
- Auto Theft
- Crime Analysis
- Economic Crimes
- Pawn / Metal Detail
Street Gang Unit (SGU)
- Gang Member Documentation
- Gang Suppression
Major Crimes Unit (MCU)
- Street Level Drug Investigations
Crime Reduction Team (CRT)
- Addressing neighborhood specific crime and quality of life issues at the direction of the assigned Area Commander
- Providing high visibility problem-related enforcement throughout the City of Modesto
Crime Prevention Unit (CPU)
- Organize neighborhood watch and business watch groups
- Provide courtesy safety assessment inspections to home and business owners
- Organize and facilitate community – public safety events such as National Night Out
Members of the Modesto Police Department Investigative Services Division also participate in the following task force.
Central Valley Gang Impact Task Force (CVGIT)
- A Multi-Agency Task Force
- FBI Safe Streets
The Investigative Services Division is also the home of area command resources. Two Area Commanders (police lieutenants) have responsibility to address neighborhood specific crime concerns and larger geographical crime trends in their areas. They guide enforcement resources and work with their assigned staff to proactively seek permanent solutions to crime and quality of life concerns. In addition, they seek to strengthen community partnerships to collectively resolve these issues.
The northwest division encompasses the area north of Kansas Avenue, south of Kiernan Avenue and west of Tully Road.
The south district encompasses the area south of Kansas Avenue and Scenic Drive, north of Whitmore Avenue, east of Carpenter Road to include the downtown and airport areas.